Happy New Year!
Gosh, 2020 already, eh? I remember when I was younger, I took a calculator and punched in 2020-1993 which gave me the ripe ol’ age of 27. At that time, I thought 2020 was years away, and that 27 was “old”.
But, here we are!
In one of my previous jobs, a colleague told me he doesn’t believe in resolutions because if we really wanted to make an effort to change, we would do it without waiting for a new year to roll by. At the time, I agreed and shared with those who listen to me how dumb resolutions are but then I went back to my old ways and realized, I love resolutions.
Sure, if I really wanted to change something, I would halfway through the year but I find that a new year brings new energy and motivation. I don’t make unrealistic goals and expectations so I never get discouraged by February or March. I do believe that the goals and resolutions we make at the start of the year should be a guiding point for us and not a massive bucket list to achieve. I believe if we changed the mentality from bucket list to guide, a lot of us would be able to achieve what we want to set out in the new year without that pressure to get it right.
Anyways, enough with that mumble jumbo. Here’s some things I’ve nailed down for 2020!
- Adopt a more conscious and sustainable lifestyle by reducing single-use plastic as much as possible (goodbye plastic bags!) and stop buying fast fashion and focus more on sustainable and ethical brands, and thrift more.
- I deleted my AliExpress app and find myself using Poshmark and Depop more! I am telling myself to visit my local thrift store before going online.
- Get back into an active lifestyle. Since Dan started school full time, I quit Pure Barre to save some money and tried working out at home. Breaking news – it didn’t work out. I’m looking to sign up for barre again in mid-January or February. I am also going to do the $15/month ClassPass to try new classes every month and change things up.
- Change my wardrobe to a smart casual look. My work is super casual which has led me to wear jeans and hoodies and buy casual clothes. I’d like to eventually switch my wardrobe for work and personal to a smart casual.
Career & Money
- Get a HR professional designation. Either CHRP or HRCI.
- Or, get a certificate in Operations, Management or HR.
- Start investing again and make my money work for itself.
- Also reduce overall spending and save my paychecks.
- Find a new hobby and try it out for a while (right now, I’ve nailed it down to baking!)
- Use my mirrorless Sony camera more for everyday documentation.
- More blogging! I say this every year but I would love to blog more and document my life. I would like to make more of an effort to return comments and build relationships with my fellow readers. I am so so so bad at returning comments so I do apologize but I’ll like to make a better effort!
What are some of your 2020 goals and/or resolutions?! Let me know 🙂